[ELPA] New package: eglot
Stefan Monnier
2018-05-12 15:47:52 UTC
If the package is accepted, I think I already have commit rights to the
GNU ELPA repo and would like to develop this as a Git subtree, just like
yasnippet.
Nowadays I recommend ":external"s to ":subtree"s, but it's your call.
I'd welcome this package into GNU ELPA, so feel free to push it there.

Stefan
Eli Zaretskii
2018-05-11 12:15:32 UTC
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 12:29:03 +0100
FWIW, I think LSP support should be part of the core Emacs
distribution, as it's an infrastructure necessary for modern support
of programming modes.
It'd be great if eglot.el went into core, of course, and I'd welcome the
additional level of scrutiny that usually brings. However, if it does
come to that, and since Emacs 27 is reasonably distant, I'd like to keep
distributing for Emacs 26 and developing outside Emacs or in parallel
with it for at least some time.
New packages could be added in Emacs 26.2, IMO.
Bozhidar Batsov
2018-05-14 10:55:37 UTC
I think that until a package matures it's better for it to live in ELPA, so
it can evolve at its own pace.

I agree that eventually Emacs should probably feature some built-in support
for LSP, though.
Stefan
João Távora
2018-05-14 14:14:05 UTC
Post by Stefan Monnier
If the package is accepted, I think I already have commit rights to the
GNU ELPA repo and would like to develop this as a Git subtree, just like
yasnippet.
Nowadays I recommend ":external"s to ":subtree"s, but it's your call.
I'd welcome this package into GNU ELPA, so feel free to push it there.
I just did, with :external, which does indeed sound simpler. (I did
mess up slightly and pushed an "externals/elpa" branch to the repo
instead of the intended "externals/eglot". I deleted the wrong branch,
so apart from a few extra emails, everything should be fine).

My package builds fine, but "make" for some of the others didn't go so
well.

Anyway, here's hoping to see it built tomorrow,
João