autoload changed in master in "1d75604eaded6a8482d28d57bc8e6a4d99d5caee"?
Uwe Brauer
2018-05-05 09:40:01 UTC
Hi

For ages I rely on the comment package from Noah Friedman.

To load that package I used
(autoload 'comment-out-region "comment" nil t)

So running comment-out-region loaded that package and its setting.

However in that recent emacs version, when running the command the
important variable comment-mode-alist is not set.

I can solve this problem by substituting the autoload call by require
but I am wondering. I eyeballed the NEWS but could not find anything
relevant at first glance.

Uwe Brauer
Eli Zaretskii
2018-05-05 09:54:57 UTC
Date: Sat, 05 May 2018 11:40:01 +0200
To load that package I used
(autoload 'comment-out-region "comment" nil t)
So running comment-out-region loaded that package and its setting.
However in that recent emacs version, when running the command the
important variable comment-mode-alist is not set.
I can solve this problem by substituting the autoload call by require
but I am wondering. I eyeballed the NEWS but could not find anything
relevant at first glance.
Hard to answer your question without knowing what that comment package
is or where to get it. I don't see it in Emacs and I don't see it on
ELPA. It's hard to know what's wrong with comment-mode-alist without
seeing its definition.
Uwe Brauer
2018-05-05 09:56:59 UTC
Post by Eli Zaretskii
Hard to answer your question without knowing what that comment package
is or where to get it. I don't see it in Emacs and I don't see it on
ELPA. It's hard to know what's wrong with comment-mode-alist without
seeing its definition.
Ok, fair enough. I thought given that Noah Friedman's packages are
around since the beginning of the 90 they are widely known.

Here is a link
http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/src/comment.el
Eli Zaretskii
2018-05-05 10:19:37 UTC
Date: Sat, 05 May 2018 11:56:59 +0200
Post by Eli Zaretskii
Hard to answer your question without knowing what that comment package
is or where to get it. I don't see it in Emacs and I don't see it on
ELPA. It's hard to know what's wrong with comment-mode-alist without
seeing its definition.
Ok, fair enough. I thought given that Noah Friedman's packages are
around since the beginning of the 90 they are widely known.
I did try googling for the file, but didn't find it.
Here is a link
http://www.splode.com/~friedman/software/emacs-lisp/src/comment.el
Thanks, I downloaded this, and I'm afraid I cannot reproduce the
problem. After evaluating

(autoload 'comment-out-region "comment" nil t)

and invoking "M-x comment-out-region", the variable comment-mode-alist
is defined and has a value.

How did you test it to be (un)defined?
Uwe Brauer
2018-05-05 10:29:48 UTC
Post by Eli Zaretskii
I did try googling for the file, but didn't find it.
Thanks, I downloaded this, and I'm afraid I cannot reproduce the
problem. After evaluating
(autoload 'comment-out-region "comment" nil t)
and invoking "M-x comment-out-region", the variable comment-mode-alist
is defined and has a value.
How did you test it to be (un)defined?
Thanks for you help. I now tried to do that in a clean way, started
emacs -q loaded a minimal init file with the lines

(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/emacs/init") load-path))
(autoload 'comment-out-region "comment" nil t)

And then everything works as expected. So I presume the problem is
somewhere in my init file. I have to dig into that and see what is the
reason.

BTW I could not reproduce the freezing I reported last week, that is why
no bug report so far. Thanks again