Using bbdb 2.35 in devel emacs-27
Harry Putnam
2018-04-29 02:58:33 UTC
Hoping someone will be able to say if bbdb 2.35 will work or mostly
work using devel emacs-27.

Details:

Haven't been using bbdb for about 1.5 - 2 years now but finding a need
to start using my old db again.

I have bbdb-2.35 still kicking around and not crazy about the idea of
converting to v-3.* especially since my usage is really pretty basic.

I've tried running it (2.35) in devel emacs-(27) and seems to work but of
course I've only tried a few basic things.
Joshua Branson
2018-04-29 20:11:16 UTC
Post by Harry Putnam
Hoping someone will be able to say if bbdb 2.35 will work or mostly
work using devel emacs-27.
Haven't been using bbdb for about 1.5 - 2 years now but finding a need
to start using my old db again.
I have bbdb-2.35 still kicking around and not crazy about the idea of
converting to v-3.* especially since my usage is really pretty basic.
Why don't you convert to v-3? Isn't it bad practice to use outdated software?
Uwe Brauer
2018-04-29 21:34:08 UTC
Post by Joshua Branson
Why don't you convert to v-3? Isn't it bad practice to use outdated software?
Problem is if you have a lot of hack basing on 2.35 and you are forced
to rewrite them because backward compatibility is broken.
Harry Putnam
2018-04-30 10:54:12 UTC
Post by Joshua Branson
Post by Harry Putnam
Hoping someone will be able to say if bbdb 2.35 will work or mostly
work using devel emacs-27.
Haven't been using bbdb for about 1.5 - 2 years now but finding a need
to start using my old db again.
I have bbdb-2.35 still kicking around and not crazy about the idea of
converting to v-3.* especially since my usage is really pretty basic.
Why don't you convert to v-3? Isn't it bad practice to use outdated software?
Thanks for answering a question with another (less than useful)
question.

I still drive 1998 and 1979 Ford Trucks. `The replace by date' is
problably something like 2008 on the 1998, and 1989 on the 1979.

[ (- 2018 1987) 31 - OMG & double Yikes]. I've been using outdated
machinery for 31 years.

I probably shouldn't have posted that. It might end in me doing time
if the `Out dated' police see this. (Or even just for being overly
silly .. he he).
Uwe Brauer
2018-04-29 21:32:41 UTC
Post by Harry Putnam
Hoping someone will be able to say if bbdb 2.35 will work or mostly
work using devel emacs-27.
It does! I still stick to it, since vs 3 broke, deliberately I must say,
backward compatibility. Since I have a lot of bbdb hacks I must rewrite
them, which I still have not find the time to do.
Thomas Fitzsimmons
2018-04-29 23:53:11 UTC
Post by Uwe Brauer
Post by Harry Putnam
Hoping someone will be able to say if bbdb 2.35 will work or mostly
work using devel emacs-27.
It does! I still stick to it, since vs 3 broke, deliberately I must say,
backward compatibility.
Breaking compatibility was a side effect of getting all of the BBDB code
copyright assigned, so that it could be included in GNU.
Post by Uwe Brauer
Since I have a lot of bbdb hacks I must rewrite them, which I still
have not find the time to do.
Maybe some of the hacks are no longer required with BBDB 3.x? And if
they are, it would be good if BBDB users would file bugs about why the
hacks are needed. Now that BBDB 3.x is in GNU ELPA BBDB bugs should
actually be fixable (unlike 2.x bugs for which there is no choice but to
hack workarounds).

Thomas
Harry Putnam
2018-04-30 11:08:45 UTC
--=-=-=
Post by Harry Putnam
Hoping someone will be able to say if bbdb 2.35 will work or mostly
work using devel emacs-27.
It does! I still stick to it, since vs 3 broke, deliberately I must say,
backward compatibility. Since I have a lot of bbdb hacks I must rewrite
them, which I still have not find the time to do.
Uwe, what is that you have posted?

Here, upon opening your message emacs displays the raw headers
followed by a pile of raw base 64 encoding using

[Emacs version:
GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit,
Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2017-09-28 ]

,----

`----

[...] snipped onother 84 lines
Uwe Brauer
2018-04-30 16:24:54 UTC
Post by Harry Putnam
Uwe, what is that you have posted?
Here, upon opening your message emacs displays the raw headers
followed by a pile of raw base 64 encoding using
GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit,
Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2017-09-28 ]
My apologies! That looks like the beginning of a emacs-report-bug
message, no idea how that happened. Sorry.
Uwe Brauer